It's December 1, 2013. We're not going bowling. - Mississippi State Sports - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

It's December 1, 2013. We're not going bowling.

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

bluelightstar

bluelightstar

State Alum, UA Law Student

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Keep or Fire Mullen?

My quick thought to get the thread started: should we be happy, in year 5 of the coach, of going a "competitive" 5-7? That is, even if we compete more closely in our losses than this year, is that/should that be acceptable after half a decade?

And if I'm being honest, if our losses are all 2+ TD again next year and we're not in a bowl, Mullen is GONE.
Posted Image

BatteredPancake

BatteredPancake
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I have y'all winning five games at best if you guys don't improve alot. Starting out with Ok State isn't going to be easy, I say after next season unless you win eight games and a bowl as well. Fire that guy.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
Y'all aren't going to fire a guy for winning 8 games and going to a bowl. Just not going to happen.

BatteredPancake

BatteredPancake
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 02 January 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Y'all aren't going to fire a guy for winning 8 games and going to a bowl. Just not going to happen.

I agree with this, but if I was in control I would. MSU won't take a chance of firing him then having a two win season though.

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCaligula, on 02 January 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

I agree with this, but if I was in control I would. MSU won't take a chance of firing him then having a two win season though.

Fire him and get who?      You gotta look at this like vandy looks at it.
"Sometimes you need to decide which mountaintop you want to die on." John Dixon

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
No.

You let him actually build for long term success rather than starting over with someone who either
a ) does well and bolts for a better job
or
b ) sucks and keeps you out of bowl games

I can't help but LOL at all this talk.
I mean, what is the standard at MSU?

Edited by JoeGator, 02 January 2013 - 06:56 AM.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 02 January 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

you right. that's what fla does.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Interesting predicament.

Break it down in scenarios.

A)  We are 5-7 with no good wins>>> I think you have to consider it.
B.)  We are 5-7 with a couple of good wins, but a couple of bad losses>>> Undecided
C)  We are 5-7 but very competitive in every game>>> Probably a pass
D)  Anything under 5-7>>> Strongly consider it.

We can ABSOLUTELY NOT allow a backwards slide to happen.  If that means getting rid of people, then so be it.  We are not in a position that we can climb back out of another hole.  As soon as we lose any footing we had (seems as if we have), we have got to regain our composure.  I can handle "plateauing" for a year or 2 as talent is reloaded and minor coaching changes happen, but I can not handle plateauing then any type of regression.  We can't allow our floor to be lowered again.  Mullen has done an excellent job of changing our expectations.  If you aren't expecting to win, then odds aren't in your favor to win much.

@shamoan said it best by quoting the poster from SPS:  Mullen hasn't necessarily raised our ceiling, he's just brought up our floor.  

This is fine as long as we can make adjustments to start raising our ceiling.  If Mullen continues to prove that he can't do that, we need to thank him for raising and fortifying our floor, but bring in someone who can start working on our ceiling.

Edited by JDawg, 02 January 2013 - 08:56 AM.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCaligula, on 02 January 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

I have y'all winning five games at best if you guys don't improve alot. Starting out with Ok State isn't going to be easy, I say after next season unless you win eight games and a bowl as well. Fire that guy.

I don't think a must-have benchmark of 8 wins next year is very fair.  Mullen has taken us from an average 4-5 win team to an average 6-7 win team.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 02 January 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

No.

You let him actually build for long term success rather than starting over with someone who either
a ) does well and bolts for a better job
or
b ) sucks and keeps you out of bowl games

I can't help but LOL at all this talk.
I mean, what is the standard at MSU?

I don't give a rats ass what the standard is at MSU.  I know its hard for outsiders to grasp it, but I'm not effing going back to Croom/Templeton days of utter complacency and limp-wristedness.  No way, no how.  Non-MSU fans don't understand how frustrating that was.  If Mullen continues to be complacent and not make obvious changes, he needs to go, plain and simple.  I'm not saying he needs to go right now, but does if complacency continues to build.  It's great that we expect 7+ wins now, sure.  But getting to 7-8 and settling is just as frustrating as settling for 4-8 every year.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Basically... I don't want our football program to go the route of Rick Stansbury's basketball teams.  They had no heart, no desire, no drive and no will to win.  They scooted by on what talent they had in Rick's later years and never really made a push for anything other than an SEC tourny title.  That can't happen to our football program.  Basically and simply put.... Mullen needs to find that passion again.  It was infectious to the team and to the fanbase.  Complacency, unfortunately, is just as infectious.

MSU fans seem harsh.  It's not b/c we have lofty expectations... but mainly b/c we refuse to go back into the darkness of the cellar where football goes to die.

Edited by JDawg, 02 January 2013 - 09:00 AM.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
edit.

Edited by JDawg, 02 January 2013 - 09:00 AM.

FIRE EVERYONE

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
JDawg, you are overreacting right now.
I get it though, it was a season of 8 empty wins.

If you refuse to look at the big picture, you will eventually find your way back to the cellar.

ptclaus98

ptclaus98

I wish I took my breakfast like James Hunt

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJDawg, on 02 January 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I don't give a rats ass what the standard is at MSU.  I know its hard for outsiders to grasp it, but I'm not effing going back to Croom/Templeton days of utter complacency and limp-wristedness.  No way, no how.  Non-MSU fans don't understand how frustrating that was.  If Mullen continues to be complacent and not make obvious changes, he needs to go, plain and simple.  I'm not saying he needs to go right now, but does if complacency continues to build.  It's great that we expect 7+ wins now, sure.  But getting to 7-8 and settling is just as frustrating as settling for 4-8 every year.

Laugh out Posted Imageing loud. Yeah, there's no way I could possibly comprehend the frustration you feel.
Posted Image

View PostHoganknows, on 23 June 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Tennessee will rise to the top very soon

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Lets say:
Bill O'Brien goes to the NFL.