Active NFL, Future Hall of Famers - The Pros - SECTalk.com

Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
3132915
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread


Latest Topics


Latest News


Top High Fived

Top Bettors


Active NFL, Future Hall of Famers

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1
Matt

Matt

    NashVol

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,962
  • Joined:
    Nov 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,305
There was a silly argument the other day on VN stating that Jason Whiten was a 100% lock for Canton.  I like Jason, I think he has had a good career but I think he is the 3rd best TE of his generation and it will be a bit of a stretch to get in for him.  But it got me to thinking, who are the current active future hall of famers.  Here is the list that I came up with, agree/disagree.


Quarterbacks (I think there are 5 that get in on their resume as of now and one that is close if his career continues as it has)
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Eli Manning & Ben Roethlisberger (maybe don't have the stats but each has 2 rings for two of the most popular teams in the NFL)
Aaron Rodgers (Close but not in yet IMO)

Running backs (They have become a dime a dozen, there doesn't really seem to be many standouts anymore)
Adrian Peterson

Wide Receivers
Randy Moss
Reggie Wayne
Larry Fitzgerald

Tight Ends
Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates

Tackles (Both guys are young and play on bad teams, but have still been standouts so I included them)
Joe Thomas
Jake Long

Guards
Steve Hutchinson
Jahri Evans
Logan Mankins

Center
Nick Mangold
Jeff Saturday

Defensive Ends
Jared Allen
Dwight Freeney
Justin Smith

Defensive Tackles
Richard Seymour
Kevin Williams

Linebackers
Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher
Demarcus Ware
Terrell Suggs
James Harrison (Short career as starter hurts but it has been a very impressive one)

Corner Backs
Champ Bailey
Charles Woodson
Nnamdi Asomugha
Ronde Barber

Safety
Troy Polamalu
Ed Reed

Kicker (would/should a kicker go to Canton?  IDK.  If they ever take one it should be a 4 time Super Bowl winner that includes two SB winning kicks)
Adam Vinatieri

Edited by Matt, 30 December 2012 - 07:18 PM.


#2
FAN

FAN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    361
  • Joined:
    Dec 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    106
Jason Witten, Patrick Willis, Andre and Calvin Johnson, and Julius Peppers should be on that list. Its a good list though. Just missed a few names. I know you left off Witten because you don't think he is worthy but he may end up with the all time record for TE receptions. I think he is 2nd right now or darn close to Shannon Sharpe.

Of the guys you mentioned I would say P. Manning, Brady, Roethlisburger, Gonzalez, Moss, Fitzgerald, Hutchinson, Saturday, Lewis, Urlacher, Ware, Bailey, Woodson, Palumalu and Reed are locks.
Posted Image

#3
Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    4,945
  • Joined:
    Aug 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,424
if Jason Witten doesn't make the HOF first ballot then the whole building should be demolished.
Posted Image

#4
Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    4,945
  • Joined:
    Aug 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,424
also, Nnamdi Asomugha - NO
Posted Image

#5
Matt

Matt

    NashVol

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,962
  • Joined:
    Nov 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,305

View PostFAN, on 30 December 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

Jason Witten, Patrick Willis, Andre and Calvin Johnson, and Julius Peppers should be on that list. Its a good list though. Just missed a few names. I know you left off Witten because you don't think he is worthy but he may end up with the all time record for TE receptions. I think he is 2nd right now or darn close to Shannon Sharpe.

Of the guys you mentioned I would say P. Manning, Brady, Roethlisburger, Gonzalez, Moss, Fitzgerald, Hutchinson, Saturday, Lewis, Urlacher, Ware, Bailey, Woodson, Palumalu and Reed are locks.

I can agree with those.  

I had Julius Peppers on the list originally.  Must have got deleted when I was trying to decide how to list 4-3 and 3-4 D-Linemen, he should be on the list.

WR I was a little pickier with because the stats the past decade have blown up, but you're right both Andre and Calvin deserve consideration, the Texans going far in the playoffs or the Lions even making the playoffs would probably seal the deal respectively.

Patrick Willis was one I left off because he still has a long career ahead but he certainly can make a case now.

I guess I'm not saying Witten won't or shouldn't be a hall of famer.  I just think the position is changing enough that in 5 years after he retires his stats won't seem quite so impressive.

#6
Matt

Matt

    NashVol

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,962
  • Joined:
    Nov 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,305

View PostGidnik, on 30 December 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

also, Nnamdi Asomugha - NO

He was the last one I included.  He doesn't really have the stats but that is because there is no chance for him to get stats when teams avoid throwing the ball to his side of the field.  I can see why people would say no though.

#7
SECats

SECats

    Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,732
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,528
Randall Cobb

;)
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

#8
Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

    More than 200 rushing yards!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,673
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,362
Roddy White has accomplished as much as Calvin Johnson. Calvin has had two genuinely ridiculous years in a row but Roddy has consistently been the one of the best WRs in the league. Seven straight years of 1,150+ yards receiving is difficult to contend with.
Calvin has one record. OK. I think it's a bit premature to throw him into the HOF if you're not going to throw one of the most consistent WR's in the league in there as well.
The same thing applies to Andre. Roddy has been way more consistent and when he's played as many years he'll have better stats.
R.I.P Philip Luzenkirchen, recipient of Neil Caudle's first career TD pass.
Posted Image

#9
FAN

FAN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    361
  • Joined:
    Dec 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    106
I always wondered just how much weight the HOF puts on stats. I've always been under the impression they put more value on Pro Bowls, All Pro selections, MVP's, Super Bowls, and that kind of stuff.

Another interesting thing is how devalued RB's have become. With the split carries and now the slot back types like Sproles, Woodhead, Jacquizz Rodgers, etc. Does Steven Jackson get in? He just passed the 10,000 yard mark and has played on bad teams his whole career.
Posted Image

#10
Matt

Matt

    NashVol

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,962
  • Joined:
    Nov 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,305

View PostFAN, on 31 December 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

I always wondered just how much weight the HOF puts on stats. I've always been under the impression they put more value on Pro Bowls, All Pro selections, MVP's, Super Bowls, and that kind of stuff.

Another interesting thing is how devalued RB's have become. With the split carries and now the slot back types like Sproles, Woodhead, Jacquizz Rodgers, etc. Does Steven Jackson get in? He just passed the 10,000 yard mark and has played on bad teams his whole career.

I just don't see Steven Jackson as a HOFer.  If you consider Jackson (in 8 years at 10,135 yds, 56 TD, 1 playoff appearance [his rookie year]), then you've got to at least consider Eddie George (in 8 years 10,441 yds, 78 TDs, the focal point of several really good Titans teams including a Super Bowl appearance) which I don't think anyone would seriously do.

#11
Matt

Matt

    NashVol

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,962
  • Joined:
    Nov 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,305

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 31 December 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

Roddy White has accomplished as much as Calvin Johnson. Calvin has had two genuinely ridiculous years in a row but Roddy has consistently been the one of the best WRs in the league. Seven straight years of 1,150+ yards receiving is difficult to contend with.
Calvin has one record. OK. I think it's a bit premature to throw him into the HOF if you're not going to throw one of the most consistent WR's in the league in there as well.
The same thing applies to Andre. Roddy has been way more consistent and when he's played as many years he'll have better stats.

Calvin has gobs of yards but as Jon Gruden said a couple of weeks ago they are almost all hollow yards.

#12
Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,988
  • Joined:
    Jun 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    5,151
I don't know if Jackson should be a hall of famer but he should definitely get some consideration. He has been the one bright spot on the Rams for years and he has pretty good stats. I wish him the best of luck going forward whether it is with a new team or if he retires.
Posted Image

#13
The Playmaker

The Playmaker

    Hold My Beer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,853
  • Joined:
    Apr 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,100
You have to look at more than numbers in the NFL, it's not baseball.  A lot goes into impact on the team and NFL and wins, baseball stats get you in and everything else is just a bonus it seems like.

Oh and no way Nnamdi makes it btw
Posted Image

#14
FAN

FAN
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    361
  • Joined:
    Dec 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    106

View PostThe Playmaker, on 01 January 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

You have to look at more than numbers in the NFL, it's not baseball.  A lot goes into impact on the team and NFL and wins, baseball stats get you in and everything else is just a bonus it seems like.

Oh and no way Nnamdi makes it btw

Unless Steven Jackson puts up around 2,500 to 3,000 more yards than he is questionable. He won't be a first ballot anyway.

I agree with some of this. Nnamdi Asomugha kind of reminds me of Aeneas Williams. Aeneas was awesome. He was so good and on such a bad team like Asomugha (before Asomugha was in Philly and was forced to play zone) that nobody threw at him. Both guys are HOF talent imo and should make it over Charles Woodson or Ronde Barber but who knows they may not. Both played on bad teams, but Barber and Woodson have the rings and played forever so I guess they are better (as I shake my head)......just not in this guys opinion. I like guys who were dominant. And for a decade Nnamdi and Aeneas were shut down corners.

Edited by FAN, 01 January 2013 - 05:04 AM.

Posted Image

#15
BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

    Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    3,706
  • Joined:
    Jun 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,196

View PostMatt, on 30 December 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

There was a silly argument the other day on VN stating that Jason Whiten was a 100% lock for Canton.  I like Jason, I think he has had a good career but I think he is the 3rd best TE of his generation and it will be a bit of a stretch to get in for him.  But it got me to thinking, who are the current active future hall of famers.  Here is the list that I came up with, agree/disagree.


Quarterbacks (I think there are 5 that get in on their resume as of now and one that is close if his career continues as it has)
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Eli Manning & Ben Roethlisberger (maybe don't have the stats but each has 2 rings for two of the most popular teams in the NFL)
Aaron Rodgers (Close but not in yet IMO)

Running backs (They have become a dime a dozen, there doesn't really seem to be many standouts anymore)
Adrian Peterson

Wide Receivers
Randy Moss
Reggie Wayne
Larry Fitzgerald

Tight Ends
Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates


I think Witten is a lock, he also just broke the season record for catches by a tight end, previously held by Tony Gonzalez. @FAN already added some names I agreed with, so I wont go there, but I do think that Aaron Rodgers will be a lock in the HOF.
Bedlam.jpg
#11 OKLAHOMA SOONERS 45
#3 Alabama 31

Next vs La Tech 8/30/14
84-17-7 Bedlam Record- Most One Sided In-State Rivalry in College Football
540- weeks ranked in AP top 10- most ever
383 - weeks ranked in AP top 5- most ever
101- weeks ranked #1 in AP poll- most ever
153- 1st Team All Americans
47 game winning streak- longest in FBS history

48 Bowl Games (28-18-1)
44- Conference Titles (8 Big 12)
35- 10 win seasons- Most in FBS history
21-11 win seasons Most in FBS history
12 losing seasons- fewest in college football
7 AP National Titles
5 Heisman Winners
4- Only school with 4 coaches with 100+ wins