1. Alabama The Crimson Tide finally got some style points. Pitching a shutout and recording a big win is the kind of thing that the NO 1 team in the country is supposed to do. That they would beat Ole Miss was never in doubt once the game was underway.
2. Georgia Notching a big victory over a top name brand team will do a lot for the Dawgs' perception on a national level. Yes, their body of work up to this weekend was enough to get them in the conversation, but let's face it - this was UGA's 1st BIG WIN over a name brand program that has been a consensus top team over the last decade.
3. Louisiana State Yes, the Bayou Bengals lost a heartbreaker that they really could have won. The game against Georgia came down to the home field advantage and UGA's ability to get a few key sacks and stops. Despite the loss, LSU is still easily the only choice for number 3 in a poll like this. And they are the only thing standing in Alabama's way to get to Atlanta.
4. Florida Here is where the "shake up" starts. No, the Gators did not "beat down" the Wildcats. But the defense was spectacular. And this was Murphy's first game behind center, look for him to continue to get better and better. Bottom line? Florida did what they were supposed to do, they overwhelmed an inferior opponent. It also helps that the rest of the conference performed so poorly...
5. Mississippi OK, they got shut out. They gave up a safety. The cocky smile was knocked right off Bo Wallace's face. But this game was much more competitive than the final score indicates. Hugh Freeze left at least 6, if not 9 points on the table. He went for it on 4th down. I mean, can you believe this guy? He actually tried to win the game instead of cover the spread? That kind of heart will cost him in the national rankings, but not here in this poll. I also think he will ultimately benefit from it on the recruiting trail...
6. Texas A&M The Aggies looked pretty weak against a struggling Razorback team this weekend. But they did still win by double digits in the SEC on the road. The game against Arky was a lot more interesting than almost anyone thought it would be. Based on what I saw, aTm drops in the SEC power rankings this week.
7. South Carolina I almost placed the Gamecocks above the Aggies in 6th place, but the game against UCF was too close. The Knights did beat Penn State and it MAY BE that UCF is a pretty good team this year; plus, SC did lose their quarterback. But you'd still like to see a top SEC team win a game like this more handily. The loss of Shaw MAY cause some more problems and an even further Gamecock drop in this poll.
8. Missouri For just a minute, or maybe even the whole first half and through the 3rd quarter, it looked like the Tigers were struggling and that their game against AR State was in doubt. And THAT is why we play FOUR quarters of football. AR State has starters that can go toe to toe with just about any mid tier SEC team, but they just are not deep enough to go the distance. This was a nice win for Gary Pinkel's squad, and let's face it, top half of the conference is a BIG improvement from last year. Next week's game against Vandy will go a long way in shaping Mizzou's season, power ranking and bowl hopes.
9. Auburn If Mizzou had not turned it on in the 4th quarter, Aubbie would have moved up a spot. It's hard to move them down when their loss against LSU still looks respectable AND when NOBDY behind them looked good.
10. Arkansas Did I say that nobody behind Auburn looked good? Yeah, well I was kidding. The Hogs actually looked pretty decent. In fact, they looked like they wanted to beat Texas A&M for most of the game. It's kind of weird to LOSE but still jump over a few teams that actually won, but I saw a lot of heart and effort from Arkansas on Saturday against a stronger opponent.
11. Vanderbilt Yeah! Vandy covered the spread against a weak sauce C-USA foe!! Break out the champagne! BBVA Compass bowl, here we come!! But seriously, Vandy probably did look a little better, but not enough to move up a spot, thanks to AR. They did jump over Tennessee, which will make Commodores everywhere very happy...
12. Mississippi State Another bye week and another team staying put. They draw an angry LSU squad next week - YIKES!!
13. Tennessee One touchdown. They beat SOUTH Alabama by one touchdown. How did the Vols manage to run up the score against anybody earlier in the year? Were they looking ahead to next week's game against Georgia? Maybe, but I don't care. They looked bad enough this week to drop substantially in this power ranking poll.
14. Kentucky It's hard to move somebody up when the only points they score is on a trick play fake field goal. Yes, they would have probably had 3 points anyway, but that's still not a strong performance. The Wildcats have 2 weeks of getting their teeth kicked in coming up. after that, we get to find out if these guys have any heart and whether or not they care about making a respectable showing on the season. I'll be pulling for them.
Click here to view the article
Edited by dcbl, 06 October 2013 - 06:36 AM.