Prepare yourselves for a novel.
This is for you @
It all started back when I was a high schooler, and I traveled to Oxford to watch the Ron Zook led Gators lose to Ole Miss.
I wasn't that impressed by The Grove.
I thought it was weird that the stadium was so quiet, but what does a high schooler know?
So I went back to Oxford again in 2007 to watch the No.4 ranked Gators take on the Rebels. Big time opponent at home, right?
Now that I was 21, I was sure the tailgating would be awesome. The Grove was talked about constantly by ESPN and I was stoked.
It was pathetic. Vanderbilt is the only tailgating experience that can be compared to what I saw on that game day.
I got there at 8am for an 11:30am kickoff and you know who was in the grove? Like 10-12 grandmas in sweatervests.
That was it.
It was maybe a quarter full by the time I walked into the stadium.
This time was actually worse than what I remembered from 2002.
There were more Gator fans there than Rebel Fans at kickoff.
Once the stadium filled up about 80% of the way at halftime, no one made any noise. I mean, I could actually have a conversation with the person next to me without leaning in to hear or raising our voices. It was even silent on 3rd down. It was terrible.
Then everyone left after the 3rd quarter in a game we only won by 7 and was never actually out of reach.
Fast forward two years and I join SECTalk.
People were talking about Gameday atmospheres, ranking them of course.
I added Ole Miss near the bottom. (I've been everywhere but Arkansas, most more than once)
Several OM posters completely lost their shit on me.
These were the general responses:
- You are from Florida, you don't understand southern culture
- The sorority girls must have turned you down
- You were wearing jorts and a jersey, so no one talked to you
First of all, wow, you are completely wrong. Where the do you think the term "cracker" comes from.
Educate yourselves. Florida is stereotypically southern and redneck except for maybe 5 counties in the entire state.
Secondly, I don't think I've mentioned this before because it shouldn't matter, but I was wearing my name brand polo with short shorts and my boaters.
Thirdly, even if all of those accusations WERE correct, that justifies your entire fanbase being dicks? (they were nice)
PS- There are tons of attractive women at OM, but they blow it way out of proportion. Putting on 10 pounds of makeup doesn't cover up your chicklet teeth or weirdly shaped head.
Obviously, all of this was very annoying, but whatever.
I would be pissed if someone called out UF for not being loud or something- that's our thing like tailgating is OM's thing.
But rather than just admit it was a poor showing and it's not usually like that, I catch holy hell.
Enter several Ole Miss posters who say a lot of really stupid things and have a lot of really stupid opinions.
IGAF what school you are a fan of, if you are an idiot you are an idiot. Big deal.
These morons cannot discern me hating them from me hating their school.
- Still bitter we beat you in 2008? (actually no, we won a :lanekiffin:ing national championship that year, so everything's good. stupid, right?)
- You had Ole Miss because Marshall Henderson beat you in the SEC Tourney (again, we already won the SEC Championship, so i don't really care about the tourney It's not a championship)
- "We are SEC Champions!" (no, you aren't. I know you dumb :lanekiffin:s just started following basketball three weeks ago, but learn about it before you post stupid stuff like that)
- "LSU is our biggest rival." (what? no. just no.)
- General and endless shittalking of teams and schools that are virtually on the same level and in the same situations
- More variations of "you don't understand the culture", "girls don't like you", "you're a loser", etc.
We have minor arguments back and forth, no big thing.
Mostly, people start calling me JoeDawg because I like Dan Mullen and pissed off a couple OM fans.
Again, no big deal. The idiots just happened to be OM fans, wasn't attacking the school.
In a twist of fate, I move to Mississippi for a job.
All the Ole Miss fans I meet here know nothing about football, and really don't care about it. Weird, but that makes sense considering their gameday experience. The radio stations here are all annoying pro Ole Miss. Even the hosts present everything in a skewed light that makes the school look good and the fans feel good.
I can only assume that people who have grown up here have been brainwashed from a young age (enter "you aren't southern"), because any rational human being with half a brain can tell this instantly.
All the OM "fans" I've encountered, which is quite a few, fit the stereotype you would expect, except it's not funny. It's annoying.
Football is just an excuse to play dress up and spend money. They only have fun if they are wearing expensive clothes and watching the game on an expensive TV.
Now that's my own personal opinion, but it has been my experience with every single OM fan I've ever encountered, save 1.
I provided some examples when they came up, don't feel like rehashing all of them now.
But it is my opinion, that the vast majority of Ole Miss fans are fake. I don't know what they actually enjoy, except looking like they spend a lot of money loving their football team. Which is totally fake because they don't support it that well and generally care more about the tailgating that the result.
When they say that they may lose the game but have never lost a party, they aren't saying it ironically or to be funny.
They're serious. The party means more to them than the game. Their reputation is more important than being a fan.
They have all wrapped themselves up into this bubble so tightly, that they can't recognize their own insanity.
Then there's more general stupid stuff being said.
Along the lines of:
- Freeze is a genius (LMAO I'm never letting that one die)
- ill formed opinions about future of the program, ex: "2014 could be one of our best years ever."
- "Gators sucks, Merlin sucks, you suck", etc.
- "you just like to beat up on the lesser programs." (really? when's the last time you saw me shit talk Kentucky or Vanderbilt or Missouri ((sorry)) or Arkansas ((sorry))? Never, that's when you freaking idiots.
Also, on a side note, I do know people who went to Ole Miss and they are the same kind of fake "I'm so southern I'm going to shove it in your face" that Ole Miss fans are. Just as insecure and annoying. Newsflash you morons: you didn't invent the South.
More weak ass trash talk like:
- "why is Joe so obsessed with OM?"
- "you are a loser"
- "everyone thinks you are an idiot, right so-and-so?"
- more abstract cutdowns you would expect from middle schoolers who forgot to take their Ritalin.
I actually like the state. I like the people, I like the area.
I just don't like most of the OM fans I've met.
Don't get me wrong, they are all nice enough, so no problem there.
I also would never be this candid in person.
And this is the long and pointless story about why I get into e-fights with Ole Miss fans all the time.
Sparknotes: There are many stupid posters on SECTalk, but most of them are Ole Miss fans.
Edited by JoeGator, 09 September 2013 - 08:41 PM.