Jump to content


SEC Football Articles

Latest Topics


Stay Connected

Rate Article  - - - - -

Upset Alert Week 10




My upset alert this week is Auburn over New Mexico State. In all seriousness, I am picking Mississippi State over Texas A&M. Texas A&M is favored by 6 ½ even though Mississippi State is at home. I think that Mississippi State will bounce back from a tough loss to Alabama.


Mississippi State is 63rd in passing yards, 60th in rushing yards, 43rd in points for, and 15th in points against .They are led by quarterback Tyler Russell. Russell has 1742 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions. He has a completion percentage of 58.8 and a QBR of 141.1. Last game against Alabama, he went 15 for 30 and racked up 169 yards. He threw 1 interception and had a QBR of 90.7. LaDarius Perkins has 762 yards and 8 touchdowns on 140 attempts. Last game he got 38 yards on 15 carries. Chad Bumphis leads the team in receiving. He has 30 catches, 486 yards, and 6 touchdowns. Alabama was able to completely shut down this offense but I don’t think that this is going to happen this week.


Texas A&M is 19th in passing yards, 14th in rushing yards, 3rd in points for, and 34th in points against. Johnny Manziel leads the team in passing and rushing. He has 2216 yards, 16 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions. Johnny Football has been sacked 16 times and a QBR of 148.7. He has 793 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns on 117 carries. Last game he went 16 for 23 and racked up 260 yards. He got 2 passing touchdowns, 193.2 QBR, and 3 touchdowns on the ground. Mike Evans leads the team in receiving. Evans has 47 receptions, 705 yards, and 2 touchdowns. Last game he caught 5 passes for 80 yards. I think that Mississippi State will be able to slow down Manziel which will really hurt this offense.


Mississippi State will come out ready to play and have a huge game. Texas A&M will give State a good game but they won’t be able to pull off the win. Mississippi State will shut down Manziel and win this one 27-21.


23 Comments

I sure hope you're right man.
@Benny @ihateAU @WadeWilson

Ya'll come in here at the same time ? One could only wonder. WHeres WW ?

View PostCrimsoNation713, on 01 November 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

@Benny @ihateAU @WadeWilson

Ya'll come in here at the same time ? One could only wonder. WHeres WW ?

What?
dang....3some ?
On topic: I picked TXAM over MSST in the game thread, or rather I typed that I would, only to piss off Benny and hopefully send him into a murderous rampage. That being said, in the vote I actually picked MSST over TXAM.

View PostBenny, on 01 November 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

I sure hope you're right man.
I'm going to be right because I am always right.
AM has one football player on their defense. State will out score them, but the game will still be closer than it should be.

View Postbmccall, on 01 November 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

AM has one football player on their defense. State will out score them, but the game will still be closer than it should be.
This is what I think too. Our d is better than their. We will get the stop when it counts. I don't think they can.
We have more than one good football player on defense.  I love how the SEC still thinks we suck.  This year is a rebuilding year, but we have by no means been beaten soundly by anyone.  And we have played three top 25 teams and two of them are, or have been in the top 5.  Mississippi St has played only one ranked team and got demolished.  I know it was Alabama, but my point is, that Mississippi St is much more unproven than we are.

Ags by at least 14.

View PostThe Guru, on 01 November 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

We have more than one good football player on defense.  I love how the SEC still thinks we suck.  This year is a rebuilding year, but we have by no means been beaten soundly by anyone.  And we have played three top 25 teams and two of them are, or have been in the top 5.  Mississippi St has played only one ranked team and got demolished.  I know it was Alabama, but my point is, that Mississippi St is much more unproven than we are.

Ags by at least 14.
I don't think that you guys suck. There is a reason that this is upset alert. You guys are the favorites and probabaly a better team and I am just saying that this is a possible upset. Texas A&M is 19th in passing yards, 14th in rushing yards, 3rd in points for, and 34th in points against.Those are some pretty good stats and you definitely can't suck with that.

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 01 November 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

I don't think that you guys suck. There is a reason that this is upset alert. You guys are the favorites and probabaly a better team and I am just saying that this is a possible upset. Texas A&M is 19th in passing yards, 14th in rushing yards, 3rd in points for, and 34th in points against.Those are some pretty good stats and you definitely can't suck with that.

My post was more in reaction to the guy saying we only have one good player on defense and that Miss St will beat us with a score that will be closer than it should be.  That's just an example of the arrogance that I have been hearing since they announced we were going to join the conference.  I work with a few LSU fans and every week they pick us to lose for various reasons.  "SEC road games are no joke", "Auburn's defense is too good... they held LSU to only 12".  Stuff like that.  I just think its funny that if Miss St only beats us by a little, then it was "closer than it should be".  Haha.  I can't wait.
Im sorry but no SEC defense would have let any skill level of an LaTech team run amock up and down the field. Other than maybe Kentuck or this years Auburn or Arkansas teams that are in shambles. AM has a promising young QB and a decent offense, you can be proud of that. But the defense is not very good.

Its one thing to be a fan, its another to be unrealistic.

State has a tendency of letting teams they are better than hang around too long...we do too... so I expect that even though they should win by 14.

View Postbmccall, on 01 November 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Im sorry but no SEC defense would have let any skill level of an LaTech team run amock up and down the field. Other than maybe Kentuck or this years Auburn or Arkansas teams that are in shambles. AM has a promising young QB and a decent offense, you can be proud of that. But the defense is not very good.

I like how you say "no SEC defense would have let any skill level of an LaTech team run amock up and down the field", and then follow it up by listing three SEC defenses that would.  Its a good thing we have all these SEC offenses, with their much superior skill level on our schedule to help bring our ppg allowed down (20.25 per game vs SEC opponents).

View PostThe Guru, on 01 November 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

I like how you say "no SEC defense would have let any skill level of an LaTech team run amock up and down the field", and then follow it up by listing three SEC defenses that would.  Its a good thing we have all these SEC offenses, with their much superior skill level on our schedule to help bring our ppg allowed down (20.25 per game vs SEC opponents).
You misunderstood the man. He said no team, BUT  a horrible Kentucky team, an awful Auburn team, and an Arkansas team that has a coach the local zoo is still looking for.
In other words, those teams are not the SEC norm, they're the exceptions.
I'm not really sure I'd consider MSU over Texas A&M an "upset". I think the two teams are pretty close to even. I guess you're talking from a Vegas perspective though.

If there's a real "upset" this week, I think it'd be Ole Miss over Georgia. Just feels like something Georgia would do. Beat Florida and then turn around and lose to the Rebels the next week.
Mizzou fan is taking the easy road this week. MSU over ATM is hardly an upset.
As long as State wins I'm good with it. Well written @Mizzou_Fan.
Agreed. You can call it whatever you want as long as they write down a W in the books.
never would have ever dreamed that this game would EVER come up as topic of upset. wow  unless this was stated as sarcasim

View PostBigdaddydog1, on 02 November 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

never would have ever dreamed that this game would EVER come up as topic of upset. wow  unless this was stated as sarcasim
Wait--I was refering to Auburn .  I pick that State takes down TAM.

View PostElephanTideis, on 01 November 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Mizzou fan is taking the easy road this week. MSU over ATM is hardly an upset.
Maybe I am taking an easy road this week. Do you have a problem with that?

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 02 November 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

Maybe I am taking an easy road this week. Do you have a problem with that?

Not exactly the easy road you thought it would be, huh?