Jump to content


SEC Football Articles

Latest Topics


Stay Connected

Rate Article  - - - - -

SECTalk GOTW - Week 9

Alabama Crimson Tide Mississippi State Bulldogs



Here's your official game thread for discussion and predictions on week 9's matchup between Mississippi State and Alabama.


556 Comments

MSU comes back down to Earth with a thud.

Bama - 49
Dogs - 10
What if Mississippi State wins...

View Postnojive, on 21 October 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

What if Mississippi State wins...

It'll be the first sign of the apocolypse....and make the beating LSU will receive at the hands of Bama that much worse....
Don't sleep on State! Perkins will be running wild, and that State O is running in full force 7 games in the season. Dawgs with the upset.

MSU 28
UA 24
I can't wait for people to come out of the wood work proclaiming that MSU is horribly overrated and whatnot because we all know losing to the best team in the country at their place is something to be ashamed of. I think we should just commit ritual suicide after the game. :rolleyes:
In the words of 713 we beatin that ass..

View PostSECats, on 21 October 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

MSU comes back down to Earth with a thud.

Bama - 49
Dogs - 10

See.... I don't understand this line of thinking. Many of us expected 7-0 with our 1st loss being Bama.  I don't see how 1 loss to the best team in CFB should make us "come back down".  Only loss being Bama so far is absolutely nothing to hang your head about.

View PostRammaJamma, on 21 October 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

In the words of 713 we beatin that ass..
Are you that janitor from the hospital that accosted me for wearing a Mississippi State hat last year.........in Meridian, MS? If so, you missed a spot.
I just want to keep it close... that's all I ask.  I think we can do that.  I imagine the line will be around Bama -17.5 to open.

View Post1dawgfan09, on 21 October 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

I can't wait for people to come out of the wood work proclaiming that MSU is horribly overrated and whatnot because we all know losing to the best team in the country at their place is something to be ashamed of. I think we should just commit ritual suicide after the game. :rolleyes:

Oh.... if/when we lose... it's going to happen.  Just get ready.  We should all just go chug bleach because Bama beat us.
How does it bring us back down to earth if 99% of us expected to be here and lose to Bama before the season started?
Another week, same crap. Bama grinds their opponent down and wins by 3 TDs

View Post1dawgfan09, on 21 October 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:


Are you that janitor from the hospital that accosted me for wearing a Mississippi State hat last year.........in Meridian, MS? If so, you missed a spot.

That's me... I hate to ask how it came out but is everything alright now after your surgery for the freaky shit you and your boyfriend were doing?.... I'm not from Mississippi but that's a strange place to put a mouse.
I love my Bulldogs, but Bama is just too much.

Alabama 30
State 10
Our schedules are very similar.  We play the same next 3 opponents, have a little break and then play our rival.  State played UT just before we did.   I think MSU is a good team.  I still expect a 3 score win.  Then again both of our schedules up to this point have been suspect.

34-17  Here's to no injuries!
Wish we were playing in Starkville........Bama is obviously supposed to win this game.   However, a break or two, and stranger things have happened.  I really think it all boils down to the offensive line for State.  If we can give Russell some time, we can move the football.  Yes, we have to stop Bama also with our defense, but if we can score 25 plus....there is a possibility.  Merlin is smart and he will design the offense to work against that defense, but the plays have to have time to develop.
Hell, I'm a fan but not a delusional one.  I'm picking Bama but hopefully it's a close game...
there is no way Tyler is gonna throw on the Tide like he did UT..............we should be able to hem up their running game, forcing Tyler to throw the ball, same ole same ole

I do see MSST's defense being the best we've played so far

Bama 41  MSST 6

View PostRammaJamma, on 21 October 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

That's me... I hate to ask how it came out but is everything alright now after your surgery for the freaky shit you and your boyfriend were doing?.... I'm not from Mississippi but that's a strange place to put a mouse.
I'm getting better.
We will lose horribly. Everyone enjoy our last week of being unbeaten
The reason I feel so confident about this game is that Nick Saban's defenses have traditionally shut down Dan Mullen's offenses. Granted, we shut a lot of teams down with our defense, but scheme-wise this is a matchup that largely favors 'Bama. Our defense is built to stop an offense like MSU's.

2009: 3 points, 213 total yards of offense.
2010: 10 points, 299 total yards of offense.
2011: 7 points, 131 total yards of offense.

We traditionally play one of our best defensive games of the year against State EVERY year. I am not convinced MSU will beat us by burning our defense. If State is going to pull off the shocker, they're going to have to do it with a great defensive game of their own. In other words, they'll have to keep this game in the high teens or low 20s.
Yep.. we'll probably get raped by Alabama I just hope its competitive for at least a half.

View PostBenny, on 21 October 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

Yep.. we'll probably get raped by Alabama I just hope its competitive for at least a half.
I can proudly say that we won't be raped worse than anyone else, though. We will be their first "real" game this season, and probably their toughest game until LSU and Atlanta.

View PostUAdan, on 21 October 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

The reason I feel so confident about this game is that Nick Saban's defenses have traditionally shut down Dan Mullen's offenses. Granted, we shut a lot of teams down with our defense, but scheme-wise this is a matchup that largely favors 'Bama. Our defense is built to stop an offense like MSU's.

2009: 3 points, 213 total yards of offense.
2010: 10 points, 299 total yards of offense.
2011: 7 points, 131 total yards of offense.

We traditionally play one of our best defensive games of the year against State EVERY year. I am not convinced MSU will beat us by burning our defense. If State is going to pull off the shocker, they're going to have to do it with a great defensive game of their own. In other words, they'll have to keep this game in the high teens or low 20s.
It's not the same offense. We actually have a QB this year who can read defenses and hit WRs on the run. I know that won't matter, but I just thought I would throw that out there.
I will say I don't really feel like we'll come out and score 40+ points in this game the way we have in nearly every other game this year. This one will have a tighter, more tense feel to it than any game we've played to this point and I expect State to come out and play hard. My early gut feeling says something like Alabama 31, Mississippi State 14.

The matchup of the week I am most looking forward to is that terrific MSU secondary going up against our suddenly potent passing attack. Amari Cooper vs Johnathon Banks? Hell yes.