SEC Football Articles
SEC Power Rankings 11/24/13
It is finally here - RIVALRY WEEK! The last week of the season. For some, it is a chance to bolster an already great year. For a few others, this week offers a chance to salvage a season or end the misery and start getting ready for 2014.
But one this is true for everybody, after this weekend, there are no more tomorrow's in the regular season...
1. Alabama Iron Bowl week. Winner owns the top spot in the conference. Nothing else to be said really...
2. Auburn Iron Bowl week. Winner owns the top spot in the conference. Nothing else to be said really...
2. Missouri Beat Texas A&M and play somebody from Alabama for the right to go to the Sugar Bowl. Lose, and go to the Capital One Bowl. Either way, it has been a hell of a ride for one of the "we3aker" teams in the conference. Smart money has the Tigers in Atlanta.
4. South Carolina Beat Clemson and it is a toss up whether or not the Gamecocks get a BCS bowl. There is still a lot up the air insofar as where does everybody go bowling, but winning against the 'Tators is what SC needs to do for any hope at a special post-season. A trip to atlanta for the Conference Championship is still possible, but Clemson is job one.
5. Louisiana State That was a very impressive win over aTm on Saturday. This season was not what most on the bayou were hoping for, but has still been pretty damned good.
6. Texas A&M The Aggies probably have to beat Mizzou to even get a Cotton Bowl bid at this point. I doubt that it will happen. This year has to be labeled as a disappointment, from national and conference contendor with a Heisman QB to a probable Chick Fil a or Gator bowl bid? Ouch.
7. Georgia Speaking of "ouch"; what a tough break for the Dawgs and QB Aaron Murray. Without the season ending injury, I would be placing UGA over aTm even with 1 more loss. As things stand, tied for 7th seems about right.
7. Vanderbilt Yes, I am aware that the Commodores beat UGA in Nashville earlier this season. I STILL think that UGA is probably the better team, but am calling it a toss-up with UGA suffering another brutal injury. This past weekend's victory had to have guaranteed the 'Dores a better bowl this year. Plus, Vandy SHOULD beat Wake to finish the season at 8-4.
9. Mississippi The Rebels re back in the wrong half of the conference power rankings poll and will PROBABLY stay there even if they win the Egg Bowl. Why? Because it looks like a stretch for anyone above them to lose. Mississippi really did not look like they were ever in any danger of beating the Tigers on Saturday. they just didn't. Where they end the season will have everything to do with how the Egg Bowl plays out AND how the Mizzou vs aTm game goes. If will be interesting to see how it plays out.
10. Mississippi State The Bulldogs put together a great game and got a nice win this past weekend. Don't look now, but if the Dogs win the Egg Bowl they will go bowling AND money will be raised to construct a statue of CDM!! OK - maybe no statues will be built, but some goodwill and patience from a restless fanbase will likely be won with a victory on Saturday...
11. Tennessee The Vols are a better 4-7 team that the Gators. It is kind of amazing since they only have one conference win and actually lost to Florida, but it is true. As bad as this Tennessee team is, I don't believe they would lose to ANY FCS team right now. I also believe they will end the year with a better record.
12. Arkansas The Razorbacks came SO CLOSE to beating MS State. It has been a long year in Fayetteville and next year does not look to get any easier.
13. Florida YES - the Bowl eligibility pipe dream came crashing down on Saturday. How does the flagship university for the state of Florida LOSE to a BAD FCS team? There really aren't words.
13. Kentucky The Wildcats are still the most woeful SEC team in the conference. But we will call it a tie, at least for this week. Yes, Kentucky lost to Western Kentucky, but I am not so sure that they would get beat by Georgia Southern...