SEC Football Articles
SEC Power Rankings 11/17/13
Down to jut 2 weeks left in the season. This year, some of the biggest and most important games are still left to be played. Alabama, Auburn, Mizzou all have critical games still on the schedule - games that will determine championships!
1. Alabama Sure, they looked a little sluggish against a weaker MS State team, but they still have not lost. It's a safe bet that coach Saban won't allow his guys to be looking ahead to the Iron bowl with a very strong Moccasin team looming this week. DOH!!
2. Auburn Setting the stage for the most important Iron bowl in over a decade LMOST did not happen. One miracle play kept the dream alive though - not just for an SEC title; if the moon and stars align correctly, maybe even something bigger...
2. Missouri Until somebody beats them, the Missouri Tigers will own at least a tie for the number 2 spot. Nobody thought it would come to this in year two of SEC play, a chance at the championship and all. Just a guess, I'd wager that the Tigers don't ever schedule ALL of their cupcake games early ever again.
4. South Carolina Now that the Gamecocks have disposed of a pesky Florida squad, there is nothing left to do but wait. And hope. And pull for the Rebels and or the Aggies. Oh yeah, and beat Clemson. The Gamecocks STILL really want to win the Palmetto State Championship.
5. Texas A&M The Aggies will have a chance to prove they are better than just the 5th best team in the conference over the next 2 weeks. It starts on Saturday with LSU and ends with a chance to ruin their former Big 12 foe's title hopes. If nothing else, football will be exciting and interesting for the Texas Aggies as the season winds down.
6. Mississippi The Rebels really put on a show last weekend and finally climbed up in this poll. Their game with Mizzou this coming Saturday is huge in that it will have a lot to do with how far up the pecking order the Rebs can climb in the post season bowl selection. The the season ends with in state bragging rights on the line...
7. Louisiana State Maybe it LOOKS like there is not much to play for in their games against aTm and Arky, but that is not the case. Is LSU still an elite SEC team? We'll get an answer this weekend. Recruiting an d bowl placement is definately on the line on Saturday.
8. Georgia Just as Auburn is one miracle play into a chance to win the conference, the Dawgs are one miracle play that went the wrong way away from being considered an elite team in the conference and nationally. This has been a let down of a season for Georgia fans, but Kentucky and GA Tech should be games that the Dawgs win.
9. Vanderbilt The Commodores should be motivated for their game in Knoxville this weekend. They HAVE to believe that they are a better team than in-state rival Tennessee. This humble blogger believes that they are the better team, but they could very easily lose to the Volunteers. Win and get a better bowl and bragging rights. Lose and everyone talks about how they are just a fluke team that got lucky to catch a bunch of stronger teams when they were down with injuries...
10. Tennessee The Vols HAVE to win if they want a bowl game. Yes, it will be a crappy bowl in birmingham or Shreveport, but the Toilet Bowl is still better than no bowl. The game this weekend could go either way and will be very interesting. Probably the 2nd most intriguing game behind Ole Miss vs Mizzou. A must see game as far as i am concerned.
11. Florida YES - Bowl eligibility is still mathematically possible for the Gators, and they ALMOST made it with a miracle win over South Carolina. but, as any kid or soldier will tell you, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Bowl eligibility would be extra sweet for this team, as it would come with a win over the hated Seminoles, but they odds are very long against it happening. Wagons are being circled in Gainesville as we speak...
12. Mississippi State The Bulldogs looked like a team that cares against the number 1 team in the land. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, we are still talking about a team with just one conference win. Against Kentucky. UNLESS, Merlin can work some Egg Bowl magic or beat Arkansas...
13. Arkansas It comes down to this Saturday's game against the Bulldogs. Winner gets 12th or MAYBE 11th place in the conference. Unless...
14. Kentucky ...the Wildcats can beat Georgia! THEN Kentucky will climb the conference ladder! A win over the Vols may even get Kentucky out of last place. But. I. Just. Can't. See. It. Basketball season is underway in Lexington!!