SEC Football Articles
SEC Power Rankings 11/10/13
Now that the season is almost over, this list starts to become about jockying for a better bowl, or for some teams, ANY bowl... The SEC still looks very strong at the top, but it really does look like the pundits are correct about the conference as a whole being a little down. As of right now, odds are that the SEC WILL NOT be able to fill all of its bowl slots.
1. Alabama The Tide just summarily disposed of the team that most people thought had the best chance to knock them off. The Iron Bowl still looms large, but is this squad really invincible???
2. Auburn Another week, another impressive win. The Tigers have only 2 games left, and NOBODY in the country has a tougher end of the season schedule than these guys. Even if they fall to a rejuvenated UGA team and to a Bama team that most believe is the country's best, it has been a stellar year on the Plains.
2. Missouri I'm still calling it a tie at the #2 spot. These Tigers also have a brutal schedule to end the year, not quite as tough as Auburn, but very tough nonetheless. If Mizzou wins out in the regular season, they will hold the #2 spot by themselves.
4. South Carolina Nothing significant happened to change the Gamecocks position in this power poll during their bye week. A tough game against bitter in-state rival Clemson MAY determine a BSC Bowl berth.
5. Texas A&M The Aggies looked maybe a little sluggish against a weaker MS State team, but we'll give them a pass. Closing the season with wins against LSU and Mizzou could get this squad that 2nd BSC Bowl that now almost seems like the SEC's birthright, even in a "down year" for the conference.
6. Georgia At the beginning of the year, a healthy UGA squad was viewed by many as potentially the best team in the SEC. Many of the pieces to UGA's puzzle are back and this team still has a chance to make some chicken salad out of a chicken caca type season.
7. Louisiana State Yes, I know that this loss, the Tiger's 3rd, came on the road at the hands of the Crimson Tide. But they got their heads handed to them. Weren't the Bayou Bengals supposed to at least make this game competitive? Oh well.
8. Mississippi Wait a minute! If Georgia jumped ahead of LSU, why not Ole Miss? Because the Rebels looked shaky against a bad Arkansas team. Yesterday's game was one that they should have put away, but they let the Hawgs hang around a little too long to climb up a spot in this poll.
9. Vanderbilt This team is having a year for the ages. After the off the field issues they endured during the off season, many folks wrote them off Well, you cannot write off heart. If not for Auburn, I would call this team the biggest pleasant surprise of the year. A better bowl will be the reward this time - hello Atlanta or Jacksonville!
10. Tennessee And we come to the point on this list where ranking the teams gets hard. We are now talking about teams that probably will not get a bowl game. The Vols are at number 10 despite the early season loss to the Gators because they at least have one signature win. It is a lucky thing for Tennessee that they have a bye next week since their game against Vandy the following Saturday will be for bowl eligibility...
11. Mississippi State The Bulldogs showed a lot of heart yesterday and gave aTm a much better game than most people expected. They will have to go undefeated after their likely beatdown from Bama to make the post-season this year. MSU will probably be favored to beat Arkansas which would set the Egg Bowl up to be even more important than most years, is that even possible??
12. Florida Bowl eligibility is still mathematically possible for the Gators, but it is very unlikely. Florida is looking at their 1st losing season since 1979 - ouch. It would take a huge upset over SC or bitter in-state rival FSU to get the Gators into a bowl game for the possibility to have a winning season. I just don't see it happening. Muschamp may be back next year, but his seat will be scorching.
13. Arkansas The Razorbacks made a very valiant effort to pick up their first conference win against Ole Miss, but fell short. That makes their match up with MSU critical, or as "critical" as a late season game for a team with a really bad record can be. Nobody wants to get shut out, especially in conference play, and at this point, avoiding the SEC games goose egg is all the Hawgs have left to play for.
14. Kentucky And fortunately, basketball season has begun... The ONLY chance that the Wildcats have to pick up a conference win looks to be if they get a Tennessee team that is dejected about a bowl hopes crushing loss against Vandy, but even then, I can't see it...