SEC Football Articles
SEC Power Rankings 11/03/13
As the regular season winds down, weekend games get more critical and more important if that is even possible... The regular season comes to an end this month and then we step full force into conference championship games and the bowls!
FWIW, last week got a little crazy for me, I apologize for not getting one of these up... I guess the management team will just have to dock my pay...
1. Alabama The Tide got an off week before facing the team that was SUPPOSED to be their hardest game. Turns out that everybody's favorite Red Elephants have two sets of Tigers that could cause them problems left on the schedule.
2. Auburn Nobody expected to see THIS group of Tigers in this spot. But here we are... It looks very much like the Iron Bowl will be for the right to represent the West in Atlanta. Oh sure, there are a few twists to navigate 1st; Bama has to get by LSU and Aubbie still has a tough Georgia squad that is getting a lot of firepower back, but for now, AU is TIED for 2nd best in the conference.
2. Missouri Yeah, that's right, Mizzou STILL holds the number 2 spot in the SEC power rankings. They are listed behind Auburn because "A" comes before "M" alphabetically. I ALMOST put these Tigers alone at number 2 since their loss looks just a little more respectable than Auburn's; but at this point, it is nothing but a coin toss as to who should be #2.
4. South Carolina This spot was tough to call as well, but I have to give it to the Gamecocks since they have actually beaten one of the top teams in the conference. Many folks, if not most, believe that SC will likely represent the East in Atlanta because of Mizzou's daunting schedule. IF Mizzou loses ONE GAME and UGA wins out, Cocky will have to win out as well, MAYBE EVEN INCLUDING the Clemson game - wow. SC will be favored in all of their remaining conference games. We should be looking at a very exciting end to the season...
5. Texas A&M Two tough losses, both against legitimate top 10 teams from Alabama, it just doesn't seem fair... The Texas Aggies still have 2 very tough games left against Mizzou and LSU, so a BCS bowl is still possible! My money is still on the best Cotton Bowl ever, against a resurgent Longhorn team. I actually think most aTm fans would like that better than a Sugar Bowl appearance...
6. Louisiana State The Bayou Bengals are certainly disappointed with how this season has played out so far, but beating Bama and derailing Saban's title hopes this coming weekend would go a long way towards easing their pain. At this point, the Tigers can still win the West. They have to beat Alabama and get a little help, but it is still possible...
7. Georgia Now that Todd Gurley is suiting up again, it is not as tough to pick the best 3 loss team in the conference. It also helps that there is only one other 3 loss team... The reality is that both 3 loss teams SHOULD be favored to win 3 out of their 4 remaining games. With a healthy Gurley and maybe even getting a few more guys back to add offensive firepower, UGA is probably a little stronger than MS, but this spot really is a close call as well.
8. Mississippi The Rebels still should feel pretty good about being on the right side of the conference power rankings. And they will PROBABLY rise up a spot after the games are said and done this coming Saturday. Games against Mizzou and of course MS State loom large to wrap up the season.
9. Florida Yes, the Gators own the top spot for the bottom half of the conference. What has to hurt is that they were so damn close to switching spots with the Georgia Bulldogs. Would ANYBODY have believed me at the beginning of the year if I told you that the Florida vs Vanderbilt game would be for the Gator's bowl eligibility? Well, that really is what it looks like because I am having a hard time seeing this team beating SC or FSU...
10. Vanderbilt Speaking of Vanderbilt, this weekend's game could be for bowl eligibility for the Commodores as well. The Dores will probably beat Kentucky & Wake Forrest and Tennessee are certainly winnable games; so a bowl looks likely. Beat Florida and get a BETTER bowl. Not to mention it would really do a lot to heal some fresh wounds that this program has endured recently. This 9 / 10 thing is also a toss-up, but this spot will be settled on the field next Saturday.
11. Tennessee Yeah, I know that the Vols have 1 more loss than the MS State, but they have also played one more game, and that one game was against a team that is better than ANY out of conference opponent that the Bulldogs have faced in a long, long time, maybe even ever... And TN beat the same SC team that just handed State a big loss. The Vols need 2 wins in 3 games against AU, Vandy & KY to go bowling in Butch Jones 1st year. I am having a hard time seeing it happen.
12. Mississippi State The Bulldogs are another team that need 2 wins to get a bowl game. The good news is they have 4 games to do it. The bad news is that they will be heavy underdogs in 3 of those games and the 4th is probably a toss up... Dan Mullen is probably safe this year, but his seat is sure to be pretty warm for the 2014 season.
13. Arkansas The Razorbacks were expected to struggle this year, but to not even win one conference game? Lose to MS State and that is what this team is facing. Things have to get better next year - right?
14. Kentucky The Wildcats put together a nice blowout win against a weak sister on Saturday, good job there! But to leave the SEC basement, they need to win one of their 4 reamaining games against Mizzou, UGA, Vandy or UT. Things have to get better next year - right? And oh yeah, basketball exhibition games have already started!!