SEC Football Articles
SEC Bowl Projections
The regular season is over and bowl season begins! The big question that MOST SEC fans are asking is, "Where is MY team going to go and who will they play?" Fear not, humble readers, because the 1st part of your question will be answered here!
That's right, there is NO NEED for you to wait until Bowl Selection Sunday, not when you can find out RIGHT NOW!! Insofar as WHO your team will be playing; well, we are not looking to take away from ALL the fun that Bowl Selection Sunday offers... Also, for this article, we WILL NOT be naming the bowl corporate sponsors. At least not until I get a PM from @Benny to let me know that they have changed their minds about SECTalk.com's piece of their advertising budget...
1. BCS Championship Game Sorry guys, although Auburn and Missouri are both feasibly still alive for this game, the SEC will NOT be represented in the big game for the 1st time since 2005.
1. Sugar Bowl * The winner of the SEC Championship game gets in. And I can promise you one thing, it WILL be the TIGERS!! OK, sorry. Just couldn't resist... My prediction is that Mizzou shocks the world and wins the SEC in just their 2nd year as a member.
2. Orange Bowl Since the Rose hosts the Mythical National Championship game, the Orange is 1st in line to select an at large team. So, who is the best one loss at large team that also happens to have a rabid fan base and is only one state away from Florida? I'll take Alabama for the 1st at large team selected for a BCS bowl Alex!!
3. Citrus Bowl ** The Citrus (formally Tangerine) Bowl gets the top SEC team not in the BCS, or they share this pick with the Cotton Bowl. Citrus typically gets an SEC East team and the Cotton takes their pick from the SEC West. It is not written in stone, but it is how it usually plays out. South Carolina fans sure are hungry for a BCS berth, but the top bowl in Florida is a decent consolation prize. spurrier should be happy since Orlando is home to several top notch golf courses...
4. Cotton Bowl Some may be disappointed, but after going winless in the conference last year, this will be a nice reward for Auburn. What is kind of funny though, is that had they lost to Alabama in the Iron Bowl, Aubie PROBABLY would have gone to the Sugar...
5. Hall of Fame Bowl ** This is a great bowl hosted in Tampa, FL - a beautiful city! Louisiana State will very likely sell out their side of the bowl allotment tickets, I mean, who doesn't want to be at the beach with temps in the 70's this time of year?
6. Peach Bowl ** Selection officials in Atlanta are probably very excited about having an opportunity to get a Heisman Trophy winner to play in their bowl game. Bringing in a large group of wealthy and historically great traveling fans from Texas is a bonus as well... I think that Texas A&M fans are going to enjoy a big party in Hotlanta this bowl season.
7. Gator Bowl Jacksonville LOVES the Georgia Bulldogs and Dawgs love the JAX right back. Sure, there are more Florida fans here, but this town really does everything it can to make UGA fans feel at home and comfortable every year and Gator officials are chomping at the bit to get an even larger contingent of Dawg fans in town.
8. Music City Bowl So, the hometown team has had a stellar year and really does deserve to climb up in the bowl selection pecking order. But bowl games are about revenues, tourism and fannies in seats. So Mississippi will enjoy the post season in Nashville.
9. Liberty Bowl ** If folks in the SEC offices in Birmingham would let them, they would grab MS State. But Vanderbilt won't be allowed to fall any further than a return trip to Memphis, not with an 8-4 record. Vandy truthfully deserves a trip to Atlanta or Jacksonville, but they don't have the reputation for bringing fans with them or generating eyeballs on TV sets.
10. Birmingham Bowl ** Do you want to talk about a fanbase that is EXCITED to be in a bowl game? ANY bowl game? Outside of the fans for Mizzou, Mississippi State fans will be the happiest about their post season fate. Feed and seed stores all over east Mississippi and west Alabama will have trouble keeping cowbells on their shelves...
* As an ADDED BONUS, you get a prediction for the SEC Championship Game!
** See what I did there??